[PLUG] Comcast Bouncing Outbound Mail

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jun 11 06:58:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  The problem does not originate at my end: the packets never make it
> this far. Nothing is rejected by postfix, procmail or spamassassin.
> They are blocked by a comcast MTA somewhere near the point of
> origin.

OK. So you've got a remote (Joisey :-) correspondent on a Comcast
network. When she sends you messages, most of them get returned saying
there's a problem with the remote address (or something like that; I
deleted the original problem description).

A few possibilities come to mind, some more likely than others:

1. The Comcast admins in Joisey have screwed up their local network.

2. Your correspondent has got some spyware or adware on her machine
    that is sending spam, and Comcast is blocking mail from her host.

3. The Comcast mail server used by your correspondent doesn't like to
    deliver directly to 216.99.x.x; maybe that's been identified as a
    dialup line or something like that.

4. Your remote correspondent is hand-addressing some of the messages
    in question and is misspelling your e-mail address.

Since my mail seems to get through to you, my hunch is that the
Comcast network is probably configured correctly -- though I don't
know if there are internal variations. Comcast bought most of its
subsidiary networks, and there could still be struggles to get it
configured consistently.

I'd be interested to see the entire SMTP error message returned by her
mail server.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>