[PLUG] Comcast Bouncing Outbound Mail

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 11 12:30:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Chris Jantzen wrote:

> Actually, if you're like me, your MTA is generating bounces for failed
> spam deliveries of a much higher volume.

Chris,

  Ah! You got me there; I forgot all about that.

> I find that we're generating 400-500 messages a DAY, at least, just trying
> to be RFC-compliant in the face of the tides of spam. It is soooooo
> tempting to turn off bounces sometimes.

  I am slowly modifying my postfix UCE rules to discard rather than reject.
When I discovered that I could route the junk to /dev/nul I started using
that option. I save the bandwidth of the rejection message and most of those
go to either spoofed addresses or to providers who don't seem to care.

  For the past several years I've been very dilligent about reporting spam
and doing my bit to keep the 'Net flowing. However, it's like pushing water
uphill and I know that my tiny contribution makes no difference in the
volume being transported. Ergo, discard rather than reject.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>