[PLUG] New Laptop

plug_0 at goose.robinson-west.com plug_0 at goose.robinson-west.com
Fri Jun 11 23:04:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Steve Beattie wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:02:13PM -0700, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> > I wanted something I could game with, so I got a Dell 5100 (spent around
> > $1100 on EBay for a brand new machine), but you may be more comfortable
> > with a ThinkPad.
>
> Unfortunately, try as I might, I could not get the year-old 5100 I was
> using to suspend to RAM with the 2.6 kernel. My boss has a new IBM T41
> (might be a T40), and suspend to RAM works just peachy, as it does on
> the Toshiba M35-S359 I'm typing this on (more drawbacks to this machine,
> I don't recommend it, but it was available when we laid off a salesdroid).

My 5100 is just a term old.  Redhat 9 on it
had problems locking up occasionally running
X.  Gentoo isn't locking up, but I don't know
how to get maple 9.02 working fully.  I'm
checking out gentoo primarily as a replacement
Linux distro for Redhat 9 to run maple and
prolog.  If only I knew which libraries to
emerge in gentoo to get the graphical version
running.  Command line maple seems to work
okay in gentoo.  I didn't get maple to install
directly to gentoo, I tarred up an installation
from Redhat 9.  All the maple files are in my
home directory, but where maple expects to find
libraries on my gentoo system could be a problem.

     Michael C. Robinson