[PLUG] dump & restore

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jun 12 18:33:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Chris Jantzen wrote:

> It will not work with reiserfs, and it only 'may' work with ext3 (not
> directly familiar). It will not work with nfs at all.

  Harumph! That's no fun. So, ... what are folks to do who need to implement
a low-cost backup strategy on a limited budget?

> dump/restore are apparently very powerful and cool and all that, but those
> of us in the "not-dump-thank-you" camp dislike it for its ties to a
> specific filesystem. And that's all that needs to be said about that
> flamewar, I think. (i.e., we have our sides, and we should remain
> amicable.)

  Well, I've heard that some folks dislike Xfce because they have bad
memories of working on systems with cde as the window manager. And I dislike
the "look-n'-feel" of winduhs, which is one reason I don't run KDE or Gnome.
But, that then limits modern day linux users to cpio, tar and commercial
products then. No?

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)