[PLUG] debian discs won't mount

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Sun Jun 13 19:44:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 11:23, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 gilmanhunt at comcast.net wrote:
> > Yes, in any case it fails on this line:
> > + /usr/sbin/modules-config apache-ssl internal
>
> > the which I cannot say, because I don't know what modules-config
> > apache-ssl _internal_ does/ requires such that it dies.
> >
> > Thank you for asking. I'm not currently using apache on that box- I plan
> > to "soon" but I have other testbeds for development I'm using. :)
> >
> > The box is primarily used for ssh and backups, so apache isn't
> > /required/. Although it'd be nice not to use my personal site for
> > development, I'm doin ok. :)
>
> Then just remove it and reinstall it.  If it ain't configured, you won't
> lose anything.
>
> If you're worried about losing dependent packages by removing the apache
> package, install apache-perl first (which I use instead of the vanilla
> apache module and the separate mod_perl package), that way the apache
> depdencies will be met and you can remove the packages giving you trouble.
>
> If you're worried about losing the apache configuration, just backup
> /etc/apache* to someplace else.
>
> It's a kludge, but it's the easiest way I can see to do it without digging
> in with my own hands or giving extremely detailed directions.
>
> (I guess that's probably the motivation behind the retry/reboot/reinstall
> method of MS Winders support -- except for the fact that many things
> simply cannot be resolved without at least rebooting.)
>
> Anyway, I would try dumping those packages and then installing them.
>
> J.
> --
>    -----------------
>      Jeme A Brelin

Or start using rcs to maintain revision control on your configuration
files.  The easiest way to start using it is to create an "RCS"
directory in the /etc/ and /etc/<whatever> directories.  Check in your
configuration files with the ci -u <configuration file>.  Check out the
file for modification by co -l <configuration file>.  You can go back to
a certain version by co -l -r <version>.

Just don't short circuit the versioning by changing the mode of a
configuration file or by doing a :w! in vi or its equivalent in your
editor.

Ken
CAD2CAM.COM