[PLUG] A WiFi WAP Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 17 09:51:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Cannot reach == cannot admin, I assume.

Keith,

  And, cannot ping or access from the portables. It used to work with one
portable and I could access the admin stuff using opera.

> Which brand/model of switches?

  The Linksys BEFW11S4 for WiFi, Linksys 8-port wireline switch.

> Is there a crossover cable where a straight-through belongs, or vice
> versa?

  No. I used the same cable that tied the WiFi to the former wireline port
and the cable that patched together the two 4-port wireline switches.

> Who supplies name service and routing and internet connection and DHCP for
> your network?  Etc.

  Don't run dhcp. Each host contains /etc/hosts and the rest of the family.

> Fortunately, there is less than five minutes of configuration on a typical
> WAP.  While that leaves plenty of room for error, it does mean that a
> reset-and-start-from-scratch approach is not too painful, assuming you
> have written down the sequence and the config variables somewhere.

  This was initially configured at the last clinic; I put in the MAC
addresses here and it was working -- for a couple of days -- with the IBM
ThinkPad.

> May I suggest putting loads of intended setup and procedure and
> configuration data and observations into a text webpage, say
> http://www.appl-ecosys.com/netproblem , and pointing us to that?  Most of
> the time, just writing down everything you observe, and what you are
> trying to do, will cause you to have the insight that solves the problem.
> But then, you are a scientist so you know that.

  I try to ping/access the network from a portable with a WiFi adapter and
see 'network not reachable'. From a workstation -- or a portable on a
wireline connection -- ping gives no response. Within opera, when I try to
open 192.168.55.200 (the assigned IP address of the WAP) a box pops up
reading, 'network problem'. Nothing very insightful from a diagnostic
perspective.

  I'll work on this more this weekend. I'm off to a business meeting now.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>