[PLUG] Portables with built-in eth0

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 21 09:57:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Matt Alexander wrote:

> Portable, as in a laptop?  Yes, I have a Toshiba Satellite with built-in
> Ethernet.  I sometimes use a wireless PCMCIA card with it.  It's running
> Fedora Core 1.

Matt,

  Yes, portable as in a laptop/notebook.

  I believe that Fedora uses /sbin/ifup for the interfaces. Is that called
in a hotplug file called "net.agent"?

  My problems with the Sony Vaio PCG-V505BC running Slackware-9.1 is that
the built-in eth0 is always brought up and the default route is glued on
that interface. So, when the pcmcia WiFi card is inserted (and there's no
cat5 cable on the wireline port), both eth0 and eth1 come up, but there's no
route for eth1. I'd like to see how fedora handles this.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>