[PLUG] Portables with built-in eth0

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Jun 21 11:44:02 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>   Just out of curiosity, is anyone else here using a portable
Rich> that has the ethernet port built into the system board? If so,
Rich> are you also using a WiFi pcmcia card? Having both built in
Rich> doesn't count.

Rich>   I'm curious to learn if someone has this working and on which
Rich> distribution.

Yup.  Mine is a debian install.  The interface configuration is
by-way-of /etc/network/interfaces and eth0 (since I nearly always
connect the laptop by wifi) is not "auto"matically brought up on
boot.  If I want it, I say: "ifup eth0" and up it comes via dhcp.

Before you ask, I have _no_ idea how in particular slackware does
this.

seniorr at aracnet.com