[PLUG] Portables with built-in eth0

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 21 11:45:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Matt Alexander wrote:

> In your case you'll have to down eth0 (or "route del ..."), bring up eth1,
> and then add the default route for eth1. I'm assuming that you could edit
> your net.agent script in Slackware to accomplish the same thing.

  Unfortunately, it may not be possible to modify net.agent to do this
automagically because it is non-trivial to determine if there's anything
attached to the eth0 port. Your pointer to 'route del ...' is valuable!
Thanks, Matt.

  The parsimonious solution is to do this manually when I want to use the
wifi interface rather than the wired interface. That is, when I'm away from
the office. But, you've given me the idea that I can write a script that
brings down eth0 ('ifconfig eth0 down'), deletes that route, then brings up
eth1 and attaches the route to that interface.

  It doesn't need to be automatic, any more than my connection to a dsl port
in a {h|m}otel. In this situation I su then run 'dhcpcd -d eth0' and away I
go. I'm just as willing to run a script that changes the interface and route
from eth0 to eth1 when the wifi card is in place.

Excelsior!

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>