[PLUG] Portables with built-in eth0

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Mon Jun 21 12:48:01 UTC 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 10:27 am, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, AthlonRob wrote:
> > Yep - built-in eth0 since the beginning of time,
>
>   Didn't realize you were _that_ young, Rob!. As recently as a few years
> ago wired network access required a pcmcia card.

Well, since the beginning of its time, anyway.  :-)

>   Does gentoo use /sbin/ifup or /sbin/ifconfig to control network
> interfaces?

It uses ifconfig.

>   The folks at EmperorLinux offered a patch to Slackware's
> /etc/hotplug/net.agent which is intended to put the route on eth1 if the
> wifi card is inserted. It ain't working as intended so I'd like to see the
> network interface scripts of a distribution that does work and see if I can
> extract useful insight for my system.

If you can run commands manually (ifconfig and route) and things start to
work, then we can just replace the network scripts with a few manual
commands.

Life would probably be a lot easier if you installed a DHCP server and used
DHCP to assign IP addresses.  DHCP just seems to work more frequently than
static addresses for me lately.  It is very easy to install and configure a
DHCP server, as well.

Rob