[PLUG] Out of space?

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:49:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Michael Montagne michael-at-themontagnes.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> I deleted it already but oddly enough, lsof shows it still open it is
> .kde-errors.  I rebooted and all is well now.  Wonder what that was all
> about?  Thanks for the lsof idea.

Another old-school UNIX admin trick is to "cp /dev/null .kde-errors".
This frees the file's space even if a process has it open.

Sometimes the size in "ls" will immediately jump back to its former value
but "df"  should show the space still freed.  (I.e. the application just
re-seeked to what it thought was the end of the file and started writing,
creating a sparse file.)

  -- Steve