[PLUG] Resetting hostname and IP address

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 25 14:37:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

> > like this business of holding down the reset button for an extended period.

chaz, Galen, Kurt and all lurkers:

  Eureka! The key is to unplug the unit after resetting it, then powering it
back up. The Linksys techie tried telling me that's on the sheet, but it
isn't. However, when I unplugged it and repowered it, lights flashed and I
could both ping 192,168.1.1 from the notebook _and_ mozilla finds the admin
page just fine. Whew! What a bloody ordeal this has been.

  The techie asked what versions of winduhs we're running. When I told him
we don't do junk OSes but run only linux he was non-plussed. I guess their
protocol is to have the user reboot the host next. Anyway, for future
generations, it takes both a reset (holding the button for more than 30
seconds) and a power cycle to allow access from a host with an IP address of
192.168.1.100 or greater.

  Thanks, all! Excelsior!

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)