[PLUG] Re: Free Tablet Computers To Good (or Bad) Homes

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Jun 25 15:49:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 15:41, Galen Seitz wrote:

> Can SanDisk products be purchased at a local retail outlet, or do I
> need to place an order?  Are there different types of CF cards, or
> will a card from a camera work just as well for a linux filesystem?

I've bought them at BestBuy.  They're just regular camera cards, but the
SanDisk have better boot capabilities.  I've made Ext2 filesystems on
them.

> While I'm asking CF questions, do you know if CF cards perform any sort
> of wear leveling?

No, I think that's generally done as part of the filesystem, like with
JFFS/JFFS2.  Unfortunately, JFFS seems to require special capabilities
of the flash storage and CF doesn't support it; only MTD do.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc