[PLUG] Re: Free Tablet Computers To Good (or Bad) Homes

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Fri Jun 25 16:08:02 UTC 2004

Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 15:41, Galen Seitz wrote:
>
> > While I'm asking CF questions, do you know if CF cards perform any sort
> > of wear leveling?
>
> No, I think that's generally done as part of the filesystem, like with
> JFFS/JFFS2.  Unfortunately, JFFS seems to require special capabilities
> of the flash storage and CF doesn't support it; only MTD do.

I decided to look this up on SanDisk's site.  Here's a quote, but
don't ask me to explain what it means.  This is the only occurence
of the word 'pooling' in the CF spec.

"Wear Leveling is an intrinsic part of the Erase Pooling functionality
of SanDisk CF using NAND memory. The CF WEAR LEVEL command is supported
as a NOP operation to maintain backward compatibility with existing
software utilities."

galen