[PLUG] ifconfig

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Fri Jun 25 17:39:02 UTC 2004

Hoping to avoid the source (code) I'll ask if anyone knows off the top of
their head from where ifconfig pulls the information it displays.

I'd like to do a similar type of reporting (not change) but doing greps,
cuts, trs, and friends makes it a little too cumbersome.  Something
similar to lsusb, lspci and lsmod comes to mind.
   There is also the issue of interface display length.  Off the top of my
head and based on discussions on the vserver list the interface name can
be upto 15 characters long.  Ifconfig truncates it at nine with one of
those being the colon.

TIA,
Rod