[PLUG] Request for criticism for email infrastructure install procedure

Charlie Schluting charlie at schluting.com
Sat Jun 26 12:24:02 UTC 2004

Mark Allyn wrote:
> Folks;
>
> For the collab project at freegeek, I have come up with a sort
> of 'email infrastructure install for dummies' for a postfix
> virtual email services including postfix, courier imap, ldap,
> and OpenGroupware.

Wow. Where to begin.
I'll start with my largest pet peeve.

Don't reject mail just because ONE rbl thinks its from a "bad" IP. If
you've ever run a mail server for a large user base, you know that this
will result in hundereds of lost emails.
Spamassassin (works great with postfix/amavisd, btw) can use these rbl's
to add a few points to a total spam score.. a much better way to use an
rbl.
Remember what happened when a not-so-friendly rbl quit the rbl business
and just started sending "reject" to everyone that queried it?

Anyways.. the LAST thing we want is for "dummies" as you say; to be
running mail servers! I could go on and on about this... but I think the
  whole thing is a bad idea.

Cheers;
Charlie