[PLUG] Request for criticism for email infrastructure install procedure

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sat Jun 26 16:05:04 UTC 2004

Wil Cooley wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 14:35, Mark Allyn wrote:
>

>>I have a couple of things to say.
>>
>>First of all, I need to apologise for the double emailing
>>of my request. I inadvertantly closed one session, not relizing
>>that it sent out email. Thank you for catching me on this.
>>
>>Also, I have to agres with the point you made on spam. I
>>took the spam rbl list from another HOWTO on setting up
>>postfix.
>>

>I generally agree with Charlie, but I do use a select few RBLs at SMTP
>that are reasonably conservative and responsive to removal requests.
>

>>Spam handling is one of my weaker issues.
>>
>>Since I am running postfix with virtual mailboxes (virtual
>>delivery) I don't know how to incorporate spamassasin and
>>procmail into this because I don't know how to communicate
>>virtual mailboxes from postfix's virtual delivery service
>>to procmail.
>>
>>This may be a dumb question, but how can I incorporate
>>spamassasin (and other spam tools) without using procmail
>>to send spam stuff to another sub-mailbox under each users'
>>Maildir.
>>

>amavisd-new:
>
>http://nakedape.cc/products/packages/maildefender/paper

Greylisting is a very helpful approach.  It keeps you from working
with people who don't configure their mail servers correctly.
Even though it slows mail down, it has stopped practically all
of the junk.

The other thing I do is block unresolvable mail clients which probably
stops the bulk of the junk, but this will block a lot of valid sites.  I've
been trying to run relays out of ramdisk, but so far I haven't modified
the postfix scripts to make this will work well.  What I would like is
a daemon that occasionally backs up, or updates, what is backed up
on five minute intervals.  During a shutdown, the daemon should
image what's on ramdisk in entirety.  When mail is flowing, there
shouldn't be anything cached and hence no wear on my flash device.
Rejecting when you can't find the supplied hostname stops a lot of
garbage.  I wish there was a way to discourage the sources of the
junk though.  I think a lot of it is coming from worms.  I get a lot
of the same junk from supposedly different sites, so I wonder
if the orgin is the same.