[PLUG] New FC2 Install Fails to Recognize Ethernet Card

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Sun Jun 27 14:39:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 13:40, bthoen at gisnet.com wrote:
> I tried to install Fedora Core 2 on my PII machine yesterday, it never
> asked me to configure the ethernet card. It apparently didn't seem to
> recognize it. Now this same, exact hardware will work fine with RH 7.3,
> 8.0 and 9.0 (I've tried them all in the last couple of weeks.)
>
> Since that machine is my email server, I couldn't ask for help with eth0
> DOA, so I went back to RH 9.0 and here I am. What I'd like to know is what
> might have gone wrong, and is there a way to manually configure an
> ethernet card if kudzu doesn't notice it? Everything else seemed to load
> up just fine. Or is a PII machine just too old for FC2?
>
> Rummaging around, I did notice a complaint in /var/log/dmesg about the
> BIOS being 1997 vintage, but that was associated with something called
> SAPI (whatever this is), I think.  However, I don't see any bios warnings
> in the 9.0 dmesg file, and of course, everything works now.
>
> Anyway, if someone could give me some hints as to what to look for, and
> how to debug these sorts of things, I may give FC2 another go.

What kind of ethernet card is it?  Is it pci or isa?  If it is isa, you
may have to use the plug and play utilities to get it to configure
correctly.  Do you know what chipset it is?  It could also be trying to
load the wrong driver.  (That problem occurs on some older versions of
the Realtek chipset.)

Hard to say what the problem is without knowing a bit more about your
hardware.

--
"Ye have locked yerselves up in cages of fear--and, behold, do ye now
complain that ye lack FREEDOM!"