[PLUG] Re: New FC2 Install Fails to Recognize Ethernet Card

bthoen at gisnet.com bthoen at gisnet.com
Mon Jun 28 08:05:02 UTC 2004

Sorry I didn't get back to y'all sooner, but the PLUG server must have
thought I was out of action and it didn't send me your responses. I guess
you can't bounce too many message before it cuts you off. Anyway, it's
sending me mail again, but I had to get these response off the web
archive.

To answer Alan's query, the card I'm using is an ISA BOCAlan 2000 Plus, a
"plug and pray" device.  From /var/log/dmesg it reports that the machine
is a Intel Pentium II (Klamath) with 288Mb RAM running at 233.867 MHz. The
PCI BIOS is rev 2.4, and the "PII4X: Chipset" is rev 1. Is that the info
you need to diagnose this, or do I need to look elsewhere?

Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> writes:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 bthoen at gisnet.com wrote:
>> What I'd like to know is what might have gone wrong, and is there a way
>> to manually configure an ethernet card if kudzu doesn't notice it?
>> Everything else seemed to load up just fine. Or is a PII machine just
>> too old for FC2?

> No. I've got FC2 on a dual P-II and it runs like a champ. Does lspci
> report anything? E.g.,
>
>   /sbin/lspci | grep -i ether

No "ether" reported (under RH 9.0.) Here's what I get:
[bthoen at gisnet bthoen]$ /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 01)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c325 [ViRGE] (rev 06)

> What module does it run in Red Hat 8/9? You might try searching
> through Red Hat's module configuration file, e.g.,
>
>   [heinlein]$ grep -i eth /etc/modules.conf
>   alias eth0 e100

Here's what I get (again in RH 9.) I don't know what it means.

[bthoen at gisnet bthoen]$ grep -i eth /etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 ne

> Since Fedora Core 2 is based on the 2.6.x kernel series, while Red Hat
> 8/9 run 2.4.x, the module required might have changed names.

Can you tell from the above if I need to change anything to get this to
work in FC2?

Keith Morse plug at lists.pdxlinux.org writes:

> It's my understanding there is a bug in kudzu and some ethernet cards do
> not get setup properly.  And this happened to me also.  I ended up
> manaully configured the ethernet card then went to the FC2 mail list and
> found reference to the bug.  Mine is a 3Com 3C9XX card.

Well, it works fine with kudzu in RH 7.3, 8.0 and 9.0. Is this a bug in
the FC2 version of kudzu? How does one manually configure an ethernet
card? Do you use ifconfig, or is there a simpler tool? I'll go see if I
can find that reference in the FC2 list. I assume that's at RedHat's site?
(You can probably tell I'm sort of new at this.)

Any help will be appreciated. When I try this again, I will need to know
how to use all the tools necessary to repair/configure it on my own
because I will not have e-mail to ask for help. (Kind of like taking a
space walk with no umbilical tether and you have to hold your breath while
you make repairs...)

- Bill Thoen