[PLUG] BEFW11S4 WiFi Routers

Pluimer, Randal T randal.t.pluimer at intel.com
Mon Jun 28 15:07:02 UTC 2004

Quick howto for wireless is that there are only 3 "real" channels
Because these are 802.11b they use spread spectrum. This means that 1-5,
6-1-, and 11-14 are your only real channels and have built in guard
frequencies separating them.
Yes I know they only show 11 channels. That's because the FCC can't read
or understand technical issues sometimes.
So.... A high channel is anything above 10. Moving your channel to 7
from 6 really means your now broadcasting from 7-11 and probably
overlapping the person who has his set on 11. Interference can cause
problems with these as dropped packets etc tend to cause a lot of
retries and result in processing overhead for which there is little to
give on these units.