[PLUG] Re: New FC2 Install Fails to Recognize Ethernet Card

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Mon Jun 28 19:05:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Bill Thoen wrote:
>
> > or something like it and then reboot? Then how do I tell it what the IP,
> > netmask, and gateway are? Will the configuration dialogs appear now?
>
>   This is just the physical connection between the cat5 cable and your
> system. What you want to do is edit /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.deny,
> /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.lpd and /etc/hosts.equiv (I think that's the
> set).

Don't think that's all there is to it. I know there's one or more other
files that associate eth0 with IP, netmask, gateway and DNS IP addresses.
That info is not in those files you mention. For example, how does
resolv.conf get populated? There's another I have in my notes at my office
(but can't remember just now) that associates eth0 with all those numbers
and more. I just don't know what program to run or what files to modify to
get the necesssary data in the system.

> ... And, didn't you tell me only a few years ago that every time
> Microsquish came out with a new version of their OS you'd buy new
> hardware because upgrading in place was such a PITA?

Yep. It cost about $600 to upgrade to XP. But to tell you the truth, Rich,
I'm not saving any money with Linux at this point. I've lost several days
time trying to get this server back on its feet again. Upgrading Linux is
just as big a PITA as any other OS. And patching security holes is a
constant chore and always a PITA, just like any other OS. And if you ever
try to syncronize a new OS version with the right newer versions of
software you've had to build from source (because the rpms weren't set up
to do what you needed) good luck! I'm getting really tired of trying to
trying to get MySQL and PHP working together again with the newest RedHat
I can manage to get running so I can get my damn web pages working again.

And Linux is not magically secure, either. I've been hacked nearly as many
times using Linux as I have with Windows. I can still get free automatic
updates from Microsoft, but I can't use up2date anymore (and I haven't yet
had time to learn yum.) So right now for me Linux is harder to maintain
than Windows.

In short, I'm learning that Linux exacts its price, too. And it's NOT
cheap when you have to make a living doing something else besides fooling
around with a cranky server and cranky software. All of this hassle is due
to my ignorance, of course, but when I see even experts like you go
through epics like your current wifi experience, I wonder where is the
light at the end of this tunnel?!? I'll never be smart enough to learn
everything I have to learn to realize the dream I hoped for.

But I'll keep trying. I still believe that sweat equity will pay off
eventually vs. paying rent to Microsoft, but sometimes my faith is tried
sore.

- Bill Thoen