[PLUG] Re: New FC2 Install Fails to Recognize Ethernet Card

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 28 19:23:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Bill Thoen wrote:

> Don't think that's all there is to it. I know there's one or more other
> files that associate eth0 with IP, netmask, gateway and DNS IP addresses.
> That info is not in those files you mention. For example, how does
> resolv.conf get populated? There's another I have in my notes at my office
> (but can't remember just now) that associates eth0 with all those numbers
> and more. I just don't know what program to run or what files to modify to
> get the necesssary data in the system.

  No. Forgot about those. Red Hat has, IIRC, 'netcfg' or something like
that. It'll set up the interfaces for you. /etc/resolv.conf has the
locations of the DNS servers to use. For example, on my RH 7,3 box it has:

#search appl-ecosys.com aracnet.com
nameserver 192.168.55.1         #a.ns.appl-ecosys.com
#nameserver 216.99.193.1        #ns.aracnet.com
#nameserver 216.99.193.19       #ns2.aracnet.com
#nameserver 216.99.193.2        #ns3.aracnet.com

  I'm running a caching name server here so only the second line is active.
Prior to this, I used my ISP's name servers.

> Yep. It cost about $600 to upgrade to XP. But to tell you the truth, Rich,
> I'm not saving any money with Linux at this point. I've lost several days
> time trying to get this server back on its feet again. Upgrading Linux is
> just as big a PITA as any other OS. And patching security holes is a
> constant chore and always a PITA, just like any other OS. And if you ever
> try to syncronize a new OS version with the right newer versions of
> software you've had to build from source (because the rpms weren't set up
> to do what you needed) good luck! I'm getting really tired of trying to
> trying to get MySQL and PHP working together again with the newest RedHat
> I can manage to get running so I can get my damn web pages working again.

  Ah, we've all had these problems. Unfortunately, I don't know a solution
that's satisfactory to everyone or on all aspects. However, once you do get
set up again, other than security patches that apply to you you can just
keep using it.

> And Linux is not magically secure, either. I've been hacked nearly as many
> times using Linux as I have with Windows.

  Firewall. Can't run naked without anticipating problems. You do lock your
front door when you leave at night, don't you? We can't complain about
getting run over if we walk down the middle of the road wearing dark clothes
on rainy nights.

> ... but when I see even experts like you go through epics like your
> current wifi experience, I wonder where is the light at the end of this
> tunnel?!? I'll never be smart enough to learn everything I have to learn
> to realize the dream I hoped for.

  The WiFi saga is OS agnostic. It's the equipment. And the more you work
with the OS the more you learn. IMO, you can never become competent at
anything without practice or continual learning. Right now you're still on
the toe of the learning curve, but you've also been forced into paying more
attention than you did before. That's paying off both immediately and in the
future.

> But I'll keep trying. I still believe that sweat equity will pay off
> eventually vs. paying rent to Microsoft, but sometimes my faith is tried
> sore.

  Yup. It _would_ be easier with a local group offering hands-on help.
There's no question that close proximity communities make life a whole lot
easier. From the litte I've seen, PLUG is one of the premier user groups in
terms of offering high quality help to all in need.

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)