[PLUG] Mad SCO Disease

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Mon Jun 28 21:52:02 UTC 2004

Robert Kopp wrote:

>You should probably read the current issue of "Wired,"
>unless you're sick of seeing Derl McBride's face, as
>you probably are by now. Apparently he always carries
>a gun, so this should be borne in mind.
>
>He opposes open source because there's supposed to be
>a "market" of a certain size for software, and free
>software reduces the size of this market. Why not
>apply this "logic" to hardware? Say there are 100
>million personal computers in the US, and in 1982 a PC
>available then would cost $4,000. So if those
>currently in service don't cost a total of $400
>billion, this indicates the extent to which purchasers
>are getting a free ride.
>
>=====
>Robert "Tim" Kopp
>http://analytic.tripod.com/

If you can fix the price of hardware or software, that's
a bad thing.  It's a clear sign of monopolistic practices.
The community conscious entrepeneur looks for ways
to lower the cost of computing for consumers.  There's
tremendous room for growth in the computer services
sector.  With more broadband, we are finally reaching
a point that providing information services in a
timely manner is becoming realistic.

One area I see great potential in is helping people filter
mail and web content.  Another area is providing
assistance with online research remotely.  Someone
lets you know what they want to do with open source
tools and you figure it out for them complete with an
explanation they can follow, for a reasonable fee.
Custom programming for people with a large online
conduit to deliver a product to them through is also
an interesting area.