[PLUG] NFS rpm installation as ROOT

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.COM
Tue Jun 29 10:48:18 UTC 2004

On 29 June 2004 at 9:30, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:

> My hunch is that the problem isn't with RPM, but with your NFS export
> environment.
>
> If you've got the default root_squash export setting, then root on the
> NFS client looks like user nobody to the server. If nobody can't read
> the exported files, then root on the client can't read them either.

I export with no_root_squash.  Here's my /etc/exports

/home           joseph.somewhere.com(rw,no_root_squash)
/home           192.168.1.1(rw,no_root_squash)
/home           joseph2.somewhere.com(rw,no_root_squash)
/home           192.168.1.2(rw,no_root_squash)
/home           music.somewhere.com(rw,no_root_squash)
/home           192.168.1.11(rw,no_root_squash)
/home           music2.somewhere.com(rw,no_root_squash)
/home           192.168.1.12(rw,no_root_squash)

> The best solution is probably to make sure that the rpm repository on
> the nfs server is world-readable, e.g.,
>
>    cd /root/of/repos
>    find . -type d -exec chmod o+rx {} \;
>    find . -type f -exec chmod o+r {} \;

I don't think that'll do the trick, but I'll try it.  I can copy
files from the NFS dir to the local dir while root.  Is there
anything specific to a firewall that would allow NFS file transfer,
but disallow RPM install from the same NFS dir?  I do have a firewall
between machines on my LAN -- call me paranoid, but...

On 29 June 2004 at 10:08, Russ Johnson <russj at dimstar.net> wrote:

> What's the error message you get?

No error message.  It's just that nothing happens and I have to kill
the process.

> What happens if you try to copy one of the RPMs from the NFS directory
> to a local directory?

I can copy the RPM from the NFS dir to a local dir and then
install the RPM.  My goal is to use the NFS dir as a "media" for
Mandrake's urpmi.  I did add a media just fine.  But, installing
from it doesn't work because I can't even install an RPM in the
first place.

Thanks....