[PLUG] RE: Re: New FC2 Install Fails to Recognize Ethernet Card

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue Jun 29 19:26:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Keith Morse wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Wil Cooley wrote:
>
> > 'netconfig' is the curses-mode version.
>
> Just a note, IIRC this one is a skeleton compared the the gui
> redhat-config-network, not nearly as functional or feature packed.

One of the things I like about the text-only interface is that it gets
me closer to the essentials of what's going on. Like driving a jeep with a
stick shift, a text-only interface allows me to get stuck in more remote
places. The lessons are harder, but once you learn, you have a much deeper
appreciation for the knowledge. And once you know what files do or hold
what, you can do things with a text editor you couldn't even dream of
using someone else's GUI.

It's more of an aesthetic thing with me than a practical one.

Ands thanks for pointing out this netconfig skeleton, Wil. It looks like
that is what writes/modifies the ifcfg-eth0 file!

- Bill Thoen