[PLUG] Spam Counts (was: Customer Service from Hell)

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Wed Jun 30 17:25:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> Here are my numbers from home:
>
>            total   caught
>      month  msgs     spam   %
>    ------- -----   ------  --
>    2004-01  5746     1494  26
>    2004-02  5377     1866  34
>    2004-03  5189     2339  45
>    2004-04  5557     2812  50
>    2004-05  5530     2738  49
>    2004-06  6029     3008  49

What's significant to me is not the percentages, but that the raw numbers
of spam are increasing. What do we do when there's so much spam coming in
that it amounts to a DOS attack?

Or perhaps the rise you're seeing is really due to better filters? I was
keeping track of it up to about the first week of June, and my load is
pretty steady now at about 130-150 per day, which is actually down from
about 170/day in March and April. It's roughly 2/3 spam now.

- Bill