[PLUG] Spam Counts (was: Customer Service from Hell)

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Jun 30 17:31:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 18:28 -0600, Bill Thoen wrote:

> What's significant to me is not the percentages, but that the raw numbers
> of spam are increasing. What do we do when there's so much spam coming in
> that it amounts to a DOS attack?

Isn't it essentially a sustained DoS attack now?  It's requiring
companies set up more servers just to deal with the spam, spend
countless man-hours working to solve it, and some will end up not being
able to process email as fast as it comes in.

It seems like an ever-increasing DoS attack to me.

> Or perhaps the rise you're seeing is really due to better filters? I was
> keeping track of it up to about the first week of June, and my load is
> pretty steady now at about 130-150 per day, which is actually down from
> about 170/day in March and April. It's roughly 2/3 spam now.

I think better filters lead to more spam but less spam making it to
those behind the better filters.

BTW, it looks like Evolution is now implementing some Bayesian filters.
I've thus far just ignored them, but found it interesting they're there.

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
   Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net   |    one can never be free.