[PLUG] Wireless cards for portables (continued)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 4 06:19:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 phillk6751 at comcast.net wrote:

> I hope this helps you in determining which is better for your needs.

Phil,

  Yes it does. Thank you very much. What I infer from all of the
well-thought-out comments posted on this thread are:

  1) Since I'll be using this only away from the house/office, I don't need
to worry about cordless phones; other pontential interferring sources will
also probably be minimal.

  2) The 'g' standard will most likely be replacing the 'b' standard within
the lifetime of my notebook and whatever wireless card I buy, so spending
more for the combined protocols is most likely the most practical decision.

  Thanks very much, all of you. I also see that the premium charged by
Emperor Linux for the 3Com card looks to be not that excessive over what a
3Com 802.11b/g card sells for on amazon.com and other sources.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>