[PLUG] linux on one floppy?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Mar 7 01:01:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, jarrod wrote:
> is there a distro that still fits on one floppy. I found some HOWTOs on
> how to build one yourself but it take two floppys. I would like to find
> a distro that I can use as a portable bash prompt. nothing more other
> then being able to store text files and get into vim.

Uh... you're talking about a fairly hefty piece of software, then.

jbrelin at person:~$ ls -l /bin/bash /usr/bin/vim
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       551548 Sep 25  2001 /bin/bash*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       756860 Sep  3  2001 /usr/bin/vim*
jbrelin at person:~$ file /bin/bash /usr/bin/vim
/bin/bash:    ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
/usr/bin/vim: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

That's pretty much one full floppy right there... no kernel, no init, no
nothin'.

Now, if you want something smaller, you might be able to squeeze ash and
elvis-tiny onto a floppy with a very bare kernel, but you'd be pushing it.

But you might be looking for something more like a root-boot floppy that
is essentially a rescue kernel and one of the mini-shell/swiss army knife
utilities like busybox.

What's the purpose of such a thing?  Isn't this why God made Knoppix?

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net