[PLUG] Samba, LDAP, and my sanity.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Mar 8 14:31:02 UTC 2004

OK, here's the sitch, kids:

I have this samba server.  It has LDAP installed and (I think) configured.
It has smbldap tools installed and (I think) configured and working.

I'm trying to make it DO something that seems useful.

What I REALLY want is a simple server that will authenticate users for all
shares on the network and create user and machine accounts when necessary.
I want the "single sign on" thing where I don't need to do local machine
configuration except to tell the client to which domain it belongs.

Am I crazy?  When I create users by hand, they don't authenticate.  When I
try to set "security = domain", testparm tells me it's "not recommended".
And when I read the docs at samba.org, it appears as though this only
works when you've got a Winders server doing the real authentication.

What gives?  Is there a better HOW-TO on this?

Gaaaah!!!

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin