[PLUG] Samba, LDAP, and my sanity.

Aaron Burt aaron at speakeasy.org
Mon Mar 8 23:43:02 UTC 2004

Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Matt Alexander wrote:
>> I've been struggling with Samba too.  I recently picked up an excellent
>> book, "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide." ISBN:
>> 0-13-145355-6
>
> We don't all have US$40-50 to throw down on documentation.  There's, you
> know, food and stuff to consider first.

Nice of Russell to point out a free source for the info.

> The fact is, I don't even really care about LDAP.  I just want Samba to do
> what I want it to do without a Windows Domain Controller.

Ah.  OK, no other NT server?  Then you want Samba to be the PDC
[Primary Domain Controller].  LDAP is a separate issue, save it for
later.

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/csamba6.html
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html

That said, here's a couple Samba-PDC LDAP howtos:
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb-howto.html
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/samba-pdc.php