[PLUG] New Linux class at LCC

Ken Barber kenb at nu-world.com
Tue Mar 9 15:05:02 UTC 2004

Spring Term will commence in about three weeks and with it will
come some changes in the Linux sysadmin classes at LCC.

The current class will be split into two classes, called Level 1
and Level 2.  The official descriptions of these classes are
here...

http://www.lanecc.edu/cont_ed/cont_ed/cc_menu_classes.html#10

... but thanks to insanely early deadlines the official
descriptions are little more than guesses at what the Linux
landscape was going to look like right about now.  What follows
are more recent (and useful) descriptions of the two classes.

We're still following the Red Hat model for training, and now that
we know what RH is doing with Enterprise Linux training &
certification we're kinda sorta doing things that are similar.

LEVEL ONE

The first-level class will cover what's needed to build, install,
troubleshoot and maintain Linux workstations.  We won't do any
server stuff at all except ssh and peer-to-peer file sharing with
'doze boxen.

More details will be available after I create the syllabus
(hopefully within the next week) but this is what I envision
right now:

*	Basic Stuff that has been holding back some of the
less-experienced students in my current classes, such as shell
basics, grep & regular expressions and networking essentials.

*	Other basics such as filesystem structure and tools, process
control, package management and local user & group management.

*	Basic host security.

*	Connecting workstations to various enterprise services such as
NIS, NFS and so forth.  Yeah, I know they're lame but for some
reason the certification testers are still requiring knowledge &
experience in that stuff.  No, I don't get it either.

I probably won't get around to Netware and LDAP interoperabilty
this term but I hope to cover it in this course sometime in the
future. I'm kind of waiting for the dust to settle around the
Novell/SUSE thing.

Basically, Level One will cover most of the stuff needed for
obtaining an RHCT.  It should be noted that LCC is not a
Redhat-blessed training facility; we're only covering the topics,
we're not preparing people to take the exam.

LEVEL TWO

The second-level class will cover most of the ground that is in
the typical RHCE portion of a Redhat certification exam.  Again,
this should not be construed as a class that will prepare anyone
to actually sit for the exam, it's just a description of the
topics that will be covered.

In this class we will build secure servers (and as much network
infrastructure as can be done in the lab that we use):

Firewalls, routers, DNS and DHCP servers.  Web and mail (SMTP, POP
and IMAP) servers.  NFS, NIS and Samba servers, including domain
authentication for, and interoperability with, 'doze domains.
Management of large numbers of machines.  And at some point
(probably not this term), after we know what the Netware/Linux
landscape is going to look like, hopefully Netware & LDAP
interoperability.

More information will be available after I get the syllabus
written, hopefully in the next week.

You can register on-line for either of these classes (or, if you
know any newbies, for the "Intro to Linux" class) at LCC's
website (lanecc.edu).

Please feel free to forward this to anyone whom you think might be
interested.  Any questions, just ask!

Thanks,

Ken