[PLUG] New Linux class at LCC

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Tue Mar 9 15:38:02 UTC 2004

AthlonRob wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 14:32, Ken Barber wrote:
>

>>We're still following the Red Hat model for training, and now that
>>we know what RH is doing with Enterprise Linux training &
>>certification we're kinda sorta doing things that are similar.
>

> I've got to say... you lose about 25 points in my book when you base a
> class entirely around a single distribution.  RedHat does too many
> things that other distros don't to be considered 'The Linux' ... I,
> personally, feel Slackware is about as close as you can get to a
> non-special distribution, but I realize many people don't like it.  It's
> easy to teach distribution-agnostic skills with such a distro, however.
>
> I realize you're aiming specifically for RHCE stuff, and would probably
> call it intro to RedHat Linux if you could put RedHat in the title of
> the class, but I really just dislike classes calling themselves 'Linux'
> classes when they are, in fact, RedHat classes.  Linux != RedHat.

I agree completely. Red Hat Linux classes should be called what
they are. However, there's a downside. If a college only offers
Red Hat Linux classes and not generic Linux classes, this reinforces
the idea that Linux = Redhat. I would hope that the instructors
spend some time explaining this to students, as I do.

Ed