[PLUG] getting rid of windows

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Mar 14 19:43:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Paul Mullen wrote:

> I'd think you should be able to re-format the Windows partition from
> within Linux and then just use it as bonus hard drive space. This ought to
> work fine if you don't feel the need to rearrange everything after
> removing Windows. AFAIK, Linux doesn't really care what the type the
> freshly wiped partition is marked as.

  To add to what Paul wrote: if you use fdisk (or cfdisk), as root and on a
console, you can change the filesystem type of /dev/hda1 to 83 (linux) while
keeping it as the bootable partition. However, you'll need a mount point for
it and most distributions (well, at least Red Hat and Slackware) want to put
/ on /dev/hda1.

  What would most likely turn out to be the quickest, easiest and least
frustrating would be to back up everything you want, repartition the drive
and re-install the OS. If the partition was anything but /dev/hda1 I think
you'd find it a lot easier.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>