[PLUG] Re: local-ish rack suppliers?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Mar 15 03:37:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> But a better way to go is a small modification of Rich's suggestion,
> LOBOS, lots of boxes on shelves.  Rather than fixed shelves, get some of
> those wire-shelf on roller pole systems ( www.metro.com). This means you
> can move the system up against the wall, or turn it around to work on.
> The open-wire shelves are nice to wire-tie cables and power strips and
> hubs to.  If you can't find these racks used at one of the surplus
> places above, they are expensive new.  There are very expensive but
> pretty versions at Storables;  but you can go there and see some of what
> is available.  In any case, these might be the way to go for stacks of
> odd sized boxen.

I have LOTS of this style of shelving.  Some of it is from Storables and
some of it is genuine Metro stuff (culled from dumpsters and garage sales
and the like).

I can attest that they are highly compatible (the desk at which I sit now
has a Metro 36x24 shelf and a Storables 36x24 sliding shelf on Storables
vertical supports)... but it's not 100%.  Basically, you can mix the
shelving all you want and all the accessories work perfectly with the
latest Storables stuff (some of their old shelves had lengthwise grills
instead of width-wise) and classic, unchanging Metro stuff, but for a
given shelf, you have to choose either Metro or Storables (I forget their
upstream vendor's name) poles.  While they are both marked at 1"
increments, there are little double-bumps every five inches on the
Storables poles that makes perfect alignment impossible above five inchess
off the ground.

Anyway, I've got piles of this stuff (all in use and almost always
wanting/needing more) and heaps of experience with the various little
bits, so I'm surely going overboard here.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net