[PLUG] Switching to Exim?

Chris Jantzen chris at maybe.net
Mon Mar 15 10:55:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:43:40AM -0800, Ed Sawicki wrote:
> With the exception of its excellent performance, I've been
> generally unhappy with Postfix for a long time. The documentation
> is skimpy and spread across many web page and web sites. Many
> recently-added features and contributed patches are either not
> documented at all or very poorly documented. This leaves the
> Postfix mailing list as an important source of information. The
> problem is that questions to the list must be carefully worded
> else you're scolded and treated like a moron by the mailing list
> junta.

Ooooo, nice to know there aren't actually any motivations to switch to
Postfix from Qmail as I was contemplating. (i.e., if the license's the
only reason ...) That all sounds pretty much the same, and I've
already got plenty invested in my own setup.

> It's been a few years since I've used Exim, so I downloaded
> it on Friday and spent the weekend reading the documentation.
> The documentation is very well done and it appears that Exim
> has more functionality and flexibility generally and especially
> in the area of spam-suppression. I realize that I'll take a
> performance hit, but other than that, does anyone have any
> reasons why a switch to Exim from Postfix may be a bad idea?

FWIW-Debian defaults to Exim, and so spends time packaging it as
nicely as possible.

(Sorry my email isn't otherwise helpful.)

--
chris kb7rnl =->