[PLUG] Athlon-64 Laptops

E. Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Mon Mar 15 21:56:02 UTC 2004

I'm running dual-opteron 240's in a (currently) 32-bit debian
install, and it is extremely zippy.  (2.4.18 kernel compile in 1:06).

While I haven't played with the laptops, and the AMD-64's have less
I/O than the opterons, I would still reccomend them over a p4 or
p4m.  I wouldn't expect to run a 64-bit environment without a great
deal of work though.

Looking at the Gentoo-64 technotes/forums may be a good thing to do,
since many of the issues that arise there are not tied to gentoo.
(For example, lilo dosen't work with amd-64 at the moment, and grub
dosen't compile under amd-64--not a big deal, but worth knowing).

phillip writes:
 > Actually in the benchmarks that i've pounded through(all on 32 bit
 > windows).  The AMD-64 laptops give 2+hours of gaming on battery,
 > and 3-3.5 hours doing standard things such as web browsing and
 > simple tasks, and dvd playing somewhere in-between. On windows the
 > Athlon-64 underclocks to 800mhz(although

Just a side note about AMD-64 performance.. the amd-64 chips are a
great example of frequency (mhz) as a meaningless measurement.  The
1.4ghz opteron is _much_ faster than the 1.4 ghz Athlon MP, even in
32-bit environments.