[PLUG] Font problem: Slackware-9.1

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 16 18:26:02 UTC 2004

  On my notebook with Slackware-9.1, xpdf would not display many files. It
was looking for fonts in a directory where they weren't located:
/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1. The fonts it sought were in
/usr/share/ghostscript/Type1, so we made a symlink from the former to the
latter. That was good for xpdf: it displayed documents without error
messages. However, ...

  Now I cannot invoke X. When I watched the system boot just now I saw that
the attempt to update the X font indexes (by running
/usr/X11R6/bin/fc-cache) failed; fc-cache seg faulted. Same thing happens
when I try to run fc-cache from a console.

  A google search indicates this happens with some freetype fonts or Hershey
fonts. None of this was a problem with Slackware-8.1 or 9.0 on my other
notebook and it's not a problem with xpdf on my Red Hat systems.

  I'd greatly appreciate some suggestions on how to get fc-cache to run and
update while still being able to use xpdf to view all documents.

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>