[PLUG] Font problem: Slackware-9.1

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Tue Mar 16 20:09:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 06:24:33PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   On my notebook with Slackware-9.1, xpdf would not display many files. It
> was looking for fonts in a directory where they weren't located:
> /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1. The fonts it sought were in
> /usr/share/ghostscript/Type1, so we made a symlink from the former to the
> latter. That was good for xpdf: it displayed documents without error
> messages. However, ...
>
>   Now I cannot invoke X. When I watched the system boot just now I saw that
> the attempt to update the X font indexes (by running
> /usr/X11R6/bin/fc-cache) failed; fc-cache seg faulted. Same thing happens
> when I try to run fc-cache from a console.

All this from a simple symlink?  Is the symlink
/usr/share/ghostscript/Type1 -> /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1 or vice
versa?

Brian

--
"The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth
them that trust in him." -- Nahum 1:7 KJV

We are solar powered; we are powered by the Son.  -- Doug Rowse, 2003

If God were small enough to fit into my head He wouldn't be big enough
to worship.  -- Brett Meador, 2002