[PLUG] .fonts.cache-1 question

Ian Burrell ian at znark.com
Wed Mar 17 19:58:01 UTC 2004

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   What controls the contents of ~/.fonts.cache-1? I'm wondering if that is
> where the xpdf problem I'm having with Slackware-9.1 originates.
>
>   If I have fonts in /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/ that xpdf uses for some
> files, can I add that path to /etc/XF86Config?

~/.fonts-cache-1 and the fonts.cache-1 files in /usr/share/fonts are
produced by the fc-cache utilities for fontconfig.  fontconfig is for
client-side fonts; I don't think xpdf uses fontconfig so that likely
isn't the problem.  But having fc-cache crash when running X is not a
good thing.

On Fedora, xpdf requires the Type1 fonts in urw-fonts.  These are in
/usr/share/fonts/defaults/Type1.  It sounds like they are in
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts for you.

Are you using xfs?  Or fonts directly from XFree86?  With xfs, add the
path to /etc/X11/fs/config.  Otherwise add it to XF86Config; I forgot
the syntax.  Also, you need to run mkfontdir to rebuild the fonts.dir
files.  On Fedora, /etc/init.d/xfs script does this automatically.  It
should be "mkfontdir /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts".

  - Ian

ian at znark.com
http://www.znark.com/