[PLUG] "New Horizons" Scam

gilmanhunt at comcast.net gilmanhunt at comcast.net
Thu Mar 18 09:16:02 UTC 2004

I'm not sure I'd call this a "scam." However, I would place it on the "PLUG-TALK" list.

It's my humble opinion that a lot of training places (not just New Horizons) have under-qualified instructors.  I'm recently employed (in a shop in Vancouver) after being unemployed for four months and that free pizza was sounding awful tempting. I was actually more interested in the LapTop training courses- I liked the idea of getting an "extra" laptop.

My only previous association with NH was giving them money a few years ago to take my MCSE tests (yes yes whatever. drool over there please). But I've worked with another place like NH (affiliated with a state instution of higher learning) and I have to admit- some of the teachers were great, some were not-so-great.

Something I've learned over the years; the most important thing about taking a class is how you approach it yourself. If you have a good teacher but you don't apply yourself in a learning frame of mind, you're not going to get it. If you have a mediocre teacher, she/he will keep you more or less on track as you learn. If you have an underqualified teacher- at least you've got the time spent going to the classes and learning in a group. The group would be the second most important thing about learning. Followed by the teacher.

I wouldn't classify "New Horizons" as a scam- or their selling methods that way either, unless you also go after IT Tech, Laptop Training and any other "school" that's going to charge you (a lot of money) to train you for a position that may or may not exist- and if you believe their salespeople (who just want butts in chairs) without doing your own research on job availability... you're at fault too.

Russ
(who, after rambling for four paragraphs, realizes just why he generally lurks)