[PLUG] Courier/Postfix relay after authenticating?

D. Cooper Stevenson cstevens at gencom.us
Thu Mar 18 13:12:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 12:54, Matt Alexander wrote:
> Does anyone have an easy solution for allowing remote users to relay mail
> through a mail server after they've been authenticated by the IMAP server?

I have a client who travels a lot. Unfortunately, there's no way to know
in advance what network he's coming from so I check the sender's
address. This way, if the sender originates from my_networks or they
have a sender address of client at client.com then we relay the mail.

Yes, I know that a spammer could "hijack" this address and use the
server to spam through it. I watch the server closely and it really
hasn't been a problem. If someone tried that, I'd know about it almost
immediately.

In /etc/postfix/main.cf:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
    permit_mynetworks
    check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access
    reject_unauth_destination

In /etc/postfix/sender_access:

userone at yourdomain.com	OK
usertwo at yourdomain.com	OK
lastuser at yourdomain.com	OK

Note: be sure to "postmap /etc/postfix/sender_access" to has the file.

I hope this helps!

-Coop

> The few solutions I've discovered so far require rebuilding the software,
> etc.  It'd be nice if there's a simple way to add this feature to my
> Postfix/Courier-IMAP setup.
> Thanks,
> ~M

| Cooper Stevenson        | Em:  cooper at gencom.us            |
| General Computer        | Ph:  541.924.9434                |
| "Open For Business"     | Www: http://www.gencom.us        |