[PLUG] Courier/Postfix relay after authenticating?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Mar 18 23:46:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Wil Cooley wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 16:31, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
>
> > Then you need to create something like /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf:
> > pwcheck_method: PAM <or whatever method you like>
>
> Actually, you want to use 'saslauthd' here, and run 'saslauthd' with PAM
> authentication.  Before Cyrus-SASL 1.5.27, you had to dance carefully
> around permissions to do PAM authentication because Postfix, Cyrus IMAP,
> OpenLDAP, etc drop priviledges and can't automatically read /etc/shadow.

Err... yeah, that's what I'm doing.  'Cept it ain't saslauthd, it's
courier's authdaemon (which is redundantly named authdaemond).

> > And then create a PAM thingie for smtpd in /etc/pam.d/smtpd:
>
> The PAM auth name is smtpd, even if you use saslauthd.  (Actually, I
> think it's just 'smtp'.)

Err... right:
jbrelin at loyale:~$ ls -l /etc/pam.d/smtp
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          366 Nov 10 01:23 /etc/pam.d/smtp

Most of that was off of the top of my head.  Certainly not intended as a
"how-to" so much as a "good startin' place".

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net