[PLUG] For-What-It's-Worth Department

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 19 08:39:02 UTC 2004

  I just discovered a difference between Red Hat and Slackware that may be
useful to others here. Or, I may be the last person in the world to discover
this. Regardless, ...

  To convert from DOSs cr/lf to UNIX/linux's lf, Red Hat has the utility
called 'dos2unix' (and it's twin, 'unix2dos'). These are not found on my
Slackware system. But, thanks to the good folks at google (who are looking
to hire, by the way), I found the reason. The equivalent tools in Slackware
are called 'fromdos' and 'todos'.

  I wonder what else I'll find to step in on the conversion path.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>