[PLUG] Configuration Snafu? System still deteriorating.

GLL guy1656 at ados.com
Fri Mar 19 13:03:02 UTC 2004

> OK:
>
> I have two Linux boxes. One is a gateway machine w/firewall, the other is a
> job-use machine which sits behind the firewall.
>
> Now, when I fire up a browser on the job machine and point it to
> www.ados.com,  all appears well. BUT, when I use the same browser
> from the GATEWAY machine and point it to www.ados.com, I get
> "No web site is configured at this address."

Derek Loree:
Do both machines return the same IP address for that website?

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, D. Cooper Stevenson wrote:
> Is the firewall configured to prevent traffic on port 80
> _originating_ from the firewall to go out?

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 22:16, Paul Johnson wrote:
:
: DNS issues?

First of all thank all of you for putting in some time with these suggestions.
The problem at the gateway machine went away. I am a field engineer (PE in
mech eng,) but not a network admin - I know how to 'ping' but that's about
all the tools I can apply to the problem.

The only difference is that when I ping my ISP (ados.com) from the gateway
machine, I get : "Destination host unreachable."

What commands can I type to find out what to do?

Also, I live out near St. Helens/Scappoose. Does anyone know of a Linux
'techie' who can take a look and fix this?

Currently the problem is intermittent, and I have gotten away with powering
off both systems and then restarting both, giving the gateway a 'headstart'
by a minute or so of the "[ OK ]" listings.

Guy Letourneau