[PLUG] Dell 5100

Michael C. Robinson student_mcr at robinson-west.com
Mon Mar 22 14:15:02 UTC 2004

Apparently a good choice except for ACPI problems.  I don't know if the
5100 on Dell today is the same as the 5100 I am finding a lot of
positive comments about.  The only thing other than the ACPI
problem is evidently the touchpad which the manufacturer will
supposedly provide source code for and the network card,
a broadcom something.  I wanted to find out if the 1100 is
Linux friendly but by the time you put a P4 on it it almost
costs the same.  Dell evidently forces an office suite and
more on you, anyone cashed this stuff in for a refund?

Do you get installation CD's or is Dell's software only installed
to the computer's hard drive?

For $1000 or less new, this is looking like the way to go.