[PLUG] Best source for pre-configured Linux Boxen?

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Tue Mar 23 10:11:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 08:49, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Derek Loree wrote:
>
> > Dual Channel DDR is nice, but in my experience, the hard drive is the
> > biggest bottle neck.
>
>   A friend is a graphic artist making his living as a CAD operator. Several
> years ago I helped him boost the responsiveness of his system. Yes, hard
> drive data transfer speed is a major throughput bottleneck, but so is the
> speed of the video card. They're probably much faster now than they were
> then, but there is very heavy number crunching going on for the display.

Good point, the biggest problem in this regard, these days, is the
built-in video that shares system RAM and use the main processor for
most of the GPU operations (the Intel on-board video is an example of
this).  These make anything displaying more than a text console very
slow.

Most 4x AGP cards should be quite fast at rendering 2D, and fast 3D is
not very expensive any more.

Derek Loree