[PLUG] grub question

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Mar 23 15:51:02 UTC 2004

OK, so after Russell's ringing endorsement, I installed grub on a box at
work.  Havoc ensued.

So, whatever I did, the system was unbootable for a while.  I eventually
figured out how to make it bootable and even wrote a barely functional
/boot/grub/menu.lst to boot the thing.

Seems OK, but not perfect.  Here's the sitch and the concerns:
/dev/hda1 is /boot, ext2.
/dev/hda2 is /, reiser.

Debian creates symlinks for the current version of the kernel and initrd
image in / (/vmlinuz and /initrd.img, respectively).

I want a grub menu item that will default to the current kernel image and
associated initrd, but the symlinks span filesystems.

What's a boy to do?

If I simply create symlinks in /boot, will I have to do this with each
kernel upgrade or will Debian do the right thing automatically?

Does everyone that uses grub with Debian just manually update the menu.lst
every time they update their kernel?

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin