[PLUG] Re: grub question

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Tue Mar 23 22:10:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Dan Young wrote:
> > In /etc/kernel-img.conf:
> >
> > postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
> > postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub
> > do_bootloader = no
> > do_initrd = Yes
>
> Thanks, Dan.
>
> And if I build a custom kernel, I just run /sbin/update-grub.
>
> Good stuff.  Pretty straightforward.  A bootloader with a shell, though...
> phew... isn't that what they used to call an "operating system"?

No, just something better than your normal brain-dead boot loader.  After
dealing with Sparc architecture for couple of years and the accompanying
OpenBoot boot manager anything Intel architecture seems positively brain
dead.  Grub is a nice step in the right direction, IMO.

I'm really curious to see if any of the linux based bios motherboards will
make their into the commidity realm that we experiece with other pc
hardware.

But speaking to the original topic.  One particular thing that I know LILO
does but have not seen with GRUB is the ability to test boot on a new
kernel and if that fails the subsequent reboot go back to the previous
kernel.