[PLUG] Re: grub question

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Mar 23 22:37:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Keith Morse wrote:
> No, just something better than your normal brain-dead boot loader.
> After dealing with Sparc architecture for couple of years and the
> accompanying OpenBoot boot manager anything Intel architecture seems
> positively brain dead.  Grub is a nice step in the right direction, IMO.

Yeah, I used that a whole bunch.  There was some good and some bad.

Don't some Macs use OpenBoot?  They used to.

I just remember that awful Open Firmware song on the Sun site.

> But speaking to the original topic.  One particular thing that I know
> LILO does but have not seen with GRUB is the ability to test boot on a
> new kernel and if that fails the subsequent reboot go back to the
> previous kernel.

As in lilo -R?

I kind of got the idea that Russell's setup did that... sorta.  You
selected something and it only became the default if it boots
successfully.  Is that right?

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin